Thursday, April 1, 2010

Final Thoughts On Caritas

Over time I have come to understand why I volunteer at Caritas. I do it for the way in which it influences my life and the life of those I meet. The biggest problem faced is that of integration into a society that rejects them, with no point to start from, linguistic or monetary. Though my effect may be little, I try to do my part in integrating them by teaching them Italian, bringing them resources, sharing my opinions and giving them some connection, in myself, to Italian society.

The experience has also helped my knowledge and my interests grow. My Islamic Studies class became applicable first-hand. I was stimulated to learn French well so that I could communicate better with the people I was working with. I chose to explore ways to solve the problem of poverty and homelessness in my International Baccalaureate diploma extended essay. It has brought me to realize what kind of a college I want to attend—one that cares about helping those in need, but that also values the experience we receive and the lessons we learn while doing so.

No comments:

Post a Comment